Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Maya My Love

how does it feel
when you are
about to walk
into a dream - your dream?

does tomorrow ever
meet today -

the day’s ashes
Labour to deliver
Xotini’s child
every day - ?

An illicit life I live
forbidden pleasures I seek
with Maya

as Chayaa pursues Maya
a virtual touch
is all that it takes
to step out...

But do we?!

(c)Atanu Prasad Sarma

Glossary :
Xotini : Co-wife / Step Mother in Assamese
Maya : An Illusion and by extension the elusive morrow
Chayya : Shadow..the shadow of the day!!

8 comments:

Shubhra said...

the thought is nice and powerful but there is a disconnect bw the 1st three verses and the last 3... at least to my mind... u need something to connect the two...

atanu said...

thanks shubra! I understand what you are saying! I will recollect in tranquility and maybe I will be able to bridge it then.

Jishnu Changkakoti said...

Nice one! Even though I don't understand poetry much, this sounds good.

rakhee said...

Hey thats a facet that was kept well hidden I must say...like the maya chaya equation...perhaps meanderings but with promise for poetry of the heart! Loved reading them...do write on

Unknown said...

Atanu's search with Maya and "love" with Maya ....are some questions I raise: Is it the return from paradise we call Norwich? Is it the little steps you take and Click on Nikon? Is it the slumber and mumbling with friends.....?

Vijay Sarma said...

Dhon Da,its marvellous.I liked the way u've knitted up the loose ends of dreams & reality.It even talks about the thousand miles distance between today & only one day after,thats tomorrow.Waiting to read more...

Unknown said...

Great poem, Atanu.

The only thing if I may say (and I'm no poet), is that the word "Xotini" will not be understood by those who don't know Assamese. 'Maya' will get by - non Indians.

But keep up the good work, poetry, photographs, blogs, wow! I'm impressed.

Ram da

atanu said...

Thanks Ram da!! Important input! I agree with you Xotini will be diff to relate to by people not familiar with Assamese. I guess I shd put in a glossary!!